SRU’s annual Friends and Family Weekend takes place Sept. 21-23
Slippery Rock University will host its annual Friends and Family Weekend, Sept. 21-23, which coincides with Slippery Rock Borough’s yearly VillageFest street fair, Sept. 22, and The University's “White Out Night” football game, Sept. 22.
Sept. 18, 2018
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - When it comes to entertaining guests for a weekend, Slippery Rock University and the surrounding community know how to roll out the (green?) carpet. SRU is hosting its annual Friends and Family Weekend, Sept. 21-23, with fun activities to engage students and their ... well, friends and families, of course. The event coincides with Slippery Rock's 16th annual VillageFest with carnival games, food trucks and live entertainment, and the annual "White Out Night" where all fans are encouraged to wear white to the game.
"We love having the opportunity to show off our campus and all the activities taking place," said David Wilmes, associate provost for student success. "Friends and Family Weekend is the perfect time for our students to enjoy what SRU and the community has to offer and share that experience with guests."
Events for Friends and Family Weekend include:
• Siblings Stay Over: Siblings of SRU students are invited to spend the weekend in the residence halls and get a first-hand taste of college life. All visiting siblings must be registered prior to the event through SRU's Office of Residence Life.
• Sustainability Education: The Macoskey Center, SRU's sustainability systems education and research center, will offer tours of its herb garden, 2-4 p.m., Sept. 21, which will include the opportunity to taste and make herbal tea.
• SGA Movie Series: The Student Government Association is showing "SOLO: A Star Wars Story" at the Smith Student Center Theater. Show times are 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., Sept. 21, and 8 p.m., Sept. 22.
• UPB Presents: Jenna Marbles: The University Program Board welcomes YouTube personality Jenna Marbles for her unique perspectives on life, celebrity, the internet and her dogs. The event, recommended for ages 14 and older, is 7 p.m., Sept. 21, at the Aebersold Recreation Center. Click here for ticket information.
• Parents' Social: Members of the SRU Parents Facebook Group, and those interested in joining, are invited to meet one another for a casual, free continental breakfast, 9-10:30 a.m., Sept. 22, at the SSC Theater.
• Old Stone House Tours: Tours of the early 17th-century landmark, owned and operated by SRU, will be offered from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the site located five miles south of Slippery Rock at 2865 William Flynn Highway. Click here for more information.
• VillageFest: Crafters, food vendors, kids' games, live entertainment and more will be part of the Slippery Rock community's annual fair on Main Street, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sept. 22. Click here for more information.
• President's Pregame Tailgate Picnic: SRU students and their friends and family are welcomed to a free picnic, 4-6 p.m., Sept. 22, at the Alumni Association Pavilion before SRU's football game at Mihalik-Thompson Stadium.
• White Out Night: Purchase a special white-out T-shirt for $5 at the bookstore and wear it, or a white shirt of your choosing, to help SRU "White Out" Seton Hill when Rock football takes on the Griffins at 6 p.m., at Mihalik-Thompson Stadium.
• Academy Chamber Ensemble Concert: String quartets will play music from the Classical and Romantic eras, as well as 20th century masterworks, 7:30 p.m., Sept. 23, at Swope Music Hall.
There are other activities, such as silent auction of donated baskets in the SSC lobby, as well as a full slate of home athletics events. For a complete schedule and for more information about Friends and Family Weekend, visit: www.sru.edu/family.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | email@example.com