SRU’s Theatre Department to perform ‘Grecian Burns’ Oct. 27 to Nov. 2
From left, Courtney O’Reilly, Aidan Nahas and Mikayla Keyes from the cast of Slippery Rock University’s production of “Grecian Burns.”
Oct. 13, 2023
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — Slippery Rock University's Theatre Department will present the world premiere of "Grecian Burns," with five shows, Oct. 27 to Nov. 2 at the Black Box Theater in Stoner East. Created by award-winning writers Daniel Lincoln and Omri Schein, "Grecian Burns" follows the twistingly funny events of a reality TV show about Greek mythological characters competing for love in the middle of the Aegean Sea.
Show dates and times are 7:30 p.m., Oct. 27-28 and Nov. 1-2, and 2 p.m., Oct. 29. It is intended for mature audiences. Tickets are $12 for SRU students and $15 general admission. Tickets can be purchased online at sru.edu/tickets or in-person at the Black Box Theater ticket counter up to one hour before each performance.
"If you like shows that are hard-hitting, out-of-pocket, and a little raunchy, this is most definitely the show for you," said Gweneth Lillycrop, a senior acting major from Westminster, Maryland.
Lillycrop is the associate director and the director is Aaron Galligan-Stierle, assistant professor of theater.
"We are lucky to have a director as well-versed in comedy as Aaron Galligan-Stierle," Lillycrop said. "He is great at finding the comedic moments and training us to recognize them. As a senior who has had the privilege of working with Aaron for four years, it has been a learning curve for me to take the comedic instincts that he has taught me and transfer them to a directorial setting, but I am so grateful for how much I have grown."
"Grecian Burns" marks the SRU Theatre Department's third world premiere musical in its four years of offering a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Previous performances include "Making Melrose," which premiered as a virtual musical in January 2021. "Making Melrose" was selected as a participant at the National Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival and won eight awards at the competition. "Techies: The Musical" was the second production premiering fall of 2021 and made use of the recently renovated Miller Theater in the Performing Arts Center.
The cast of "Grecian Burns" includes:
- Abigail Malczon, a senior acting major from Cromwell, Connecticut, playing the role of Demetria.
- Courtney O'Reilly, a freshman acting major from Plano, Texas, as Brittney.
- Mikayla Keyes, a sophomore acting major from Pittsburgh, as Eurydice.
- Aidan Nahas, a sophomore acting major from Huntingtown, Maryland, as Jason.
- Belle Trask, a freshman acting major from Murphy, Texas, as Hera.
- Jeyneliz Ortiz-Valentin, a senior acting major from Cranberry Township, as Helen.
- Aidan Duez, a freshman acting major from Kingwood, Texas, as Narcissus.
- Zoie Wade, a freshman acting major from Carrollton, Texas, as Cassandra.
- Richard Osman, a sophomore acting major from Wilmington, Delaware, as Ariadne.
- Eddy Niessner, a junior acting major from Johnstown, as Nick.
- Austyn Acker, a junior acting major from Brandon, Florida, as Pandora.
Understudies for "Grecian Burns" include:
- Sophia Condit, a sophomore acting major from Bonita Springs, Florida.
- Kat Larrick, a freshman acting major from Alexandria, Virginia.
- Joseph Digney, a freshman acting major from Marysville, Ohio.
- Adele Baldina, a freshman acting major from Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Rachel Lewiski, a freshman acting major from Chester Springs.
- Jack Cipriani, a freshman acting major from Moon Township.
- Sarah Ball, a junior acting major from Lakeside, California.
- Liam Webster, a freshman acting major from DuBois.
- Adam Fox, a sophomore acting major from Jersey Shore.
For more information about theatre programs at SRU, visit the Theatre Department webpage.
MEDIA CONTACT: Aaliyah Thomas | 724.738.4854 | firstname.lastname@example.org