SRU celebrates excellence in fraternity and sorority life with annual awards
Students recognized at Slippery Rock University’s Celebration of Excellence in Fraternity and Sorority Life included (back row, left to right) Ava Parese, Ashley Tremel, Jake Barthelemy, Anna Chiprean, (middle) Chandler Fern, (front row, left to right) Megan Shiller, Calina Garbowsky, Sarah Frost, Jessica Bauer, Madeline Reno and Tara Turkovich
Dec. 17, 2021
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — Slippery Rock University's Office for Student Engagement and Leadership recognized individuals and organizations associated with Greek Life on campus at the 2021 Celebration of Excellence in Fraternity and Sorority Life, Dec. 1, at the Smith Student Center Ballroom.
The following people and fraternity and sorority chapters were selected by a committee of graduate assistants from Student Leadership.
- The Emerging Leader Awards: Sarah Frost, a sophomore public health major from Buffalo, New York, who is a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma; Jake Barthelemy, an early childhood education major from McKees Rocks, who is a member of Theta Xi; and Ava Parese, a junior early childhood education major form Sinking Spring, who is a member of Alpha Omicron Pi.
- Excellence in Values-Based Leadership Award (formerly Living the Ritual Award): Tara Turkovich, a senior communication studies major from Bedford, who is a member of Alpha Omicron Pi.
- Scholar of the Year Award (academic performance): Jessica Bauer, a senior early childhood/special education major from Pittsburgh, who is a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma.
- Outstanding Campus Involvement Award: Makenzie Shiller, a junior criminology and criminal justice major from Yardley, who is a member of Phi Sigma Sigma.
- Diversity, Social Justice and Inclusion Award: Calina Garbowsky, a junior marketing major from Irwin, who is a member of Delta Zeta.
- Excellence in Community Service and Philanthropy Award: Anna Chiprean, a senior homeland security major from Butler, who is a member of Alpha Xi Delta.
- Sorority/Fraternity Member of the Year Award: Madeline Reno, a senior early childhood/special education major from Douglassville, who is a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma; and Chandler Fern, a freshman sport management major from Sinking Spring, who is a member of Pi Kappa Phi.
- Chapter President of the Year Award: Ashley Tremel, a senior public health major from Claysville, who is a member of Phi Sigma Sigma.
- Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award: Kevin Krepinevich, '76, who advises Theta Chi.
- Academic Excellence Award: Phi Sigma Sigma.
- Excellence in Service and Philanthropy Award: Alpha Omicron Pi.
- Excellence in Membership Development Award: Theta Chi.
- Excellence in Recruitment, Intake and Retention Award: Sigma Sigma Sigma.
- Chapter of the Year: Phi Sigma Sigma.
There are 14 fraternity and sorority chapters recognized by SRU with more than 450 student members. More information about fraternity and sorority life at SRU is available on the University website.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | email@example.com