The Rocket recognized at CMA conference
Mar. 22, 2022
The Rocket, the student-run newspaper at Slippery Rock University, sent eight members of their staff to the 2022 College Media Association Conference, March 9-12, in New York City. The Rocket was recognized in two categories of the conference’s Apple Awards, acknowledging the best work from CMA members from the previous year.
The Rocket received an honorable mention for Best Newspaper for its Black History Month edition and Rayni Shiring, a senior communication major from Carnegie, won second place and “class favorite” in the Photo Shootout contest.
Additionally, Tyler Howe, a junior communication major from East Butler, wrote an article for the CMA conference’s webpage while covering the Big East Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament at Madison Square Garden as part of a CMA workshop.
The CMA conference offered educational sessions and workshops for student media programs and their advisers.
Conference attendees included:
- Sarah Anderson, a sophomore dual communication and English writing major from New Kensington.
- Nina Cipriani, a junior communication major from Altoona.
- Marissa Mastrangelo, a senior communication major from Medina, Ohio.
- Kaitlyn Myers, a junior English writing major from Cochranton.
- Brandon Pierce, a junior communication major from Gibsonia.
- Joseph Wells, a senior communication major from Slippery Rock.