The Rocket wins seven Student Keystone Press Awards
March 25, 2020
The Rocket, the independent student-run newspaper at Slippery Rock University, won seven awards in the 2020 Student Keystone Press Awards hosted by the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association.
The Student Keystone Press Awards recognize journalism at high schools and colleges in Pennsylvania that provides relevance, integrity and initiative in serving readers. SRU's seven awards were more than any institution in its division, which is four-year colleges and universities with enrollment less than 10,000 students.
SRU's awards were:
- Public Service/Enterprise Package: First place, "Anxiety Epidemic Touches SRU" by Haley Potter, a senior communication major from Leechburg.
- Editorial: First place, "Our View: Brighter days ahead; You need to calm down; 10,000 steps forward," by The Rocket staff.
- Sports Photo: First place, "Litwin Jumps into First" by Keegan Beard, a senior communication major Troy.
- Sports Photo: Second place, "Armstrong Slips By" by Hannah Slope, a freshman communication major from Somerset.
- Feature Photo: Second place, "Red Lights and Music" by Slope.
- News Photo: First place, "We're all OK" by Beard.
- Website: Honorable mention, "The Online Rocket," by The Rocket staff.
- Video Story: Honorable mention, "Valentine's Day at SRU," by Jack Hopey, a 2019 SRU graduate with a degree in communication.