SRU group receives award for conservancy research in Pennsylvania state parks and forests
Sept. 12, 2023
A group from Slippery Rock University received a $19,990 award from the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy through Indiana University of Pennsylvania. As part of the grant, the group will document indigenous forest resource practices and create interpretive media meant to foster inclusive community engagement in Pennsylvania’s State Parks and Forests. The following faculty members and their students are collaborating on the project:
- Aksel Casson, associate professor of nonprofit management, empowerment and diversity studies.
- Franklyn Charles, assistant professor of strategic communication and media.
- Shawn Davis, associate professor of biology.
- Jack Livingston, associate professor of geography, geology and the environment.
- Fadoua Loudiy, assistant professor of strategic communication and media.
- Doris Short, assistant professor of art.
- Judy Silva, associate professor of library, archivist.
- Becky Thomas, associate professor of biology.
The conservancy protects and restores areas in western Pennsylvania to provide clean water, healthy forests and natural areas for the benefit of everyone. More information about the Western PA Conservancy and the grant can be found online.