Special Education: Concentration in Pk-12 (Master of Education)Offered by: Special Education
The Special Education Department is pleased to provide two options, exclusively online, M.Ed. program for interested students. The first option is a program that allows students with existing certification to earn a master’s degree and to add on a Special Education PK-12 certification to their existing teaching certification. This program is offered exclusively online and can be completed in one calendar year.
The second option is a program for students interested in a career change. This program will result in a master’s degree in Special Education and initial certification in Special Education PK-12. Because it is a program offering initial certification, the curriculum can be completed in 1.5 years including a 15-week student teaching experience. This program is ideal for candidates seeking a career change.
SRU’s master’s program in Special Education is being offered by one of the oldest and most reputable Special Education Departments in the United States with a long history of producing top quality special educators in Pennsylvania and across the United States. The faculty who has extensive teaching and administration experience in the field has developed an award-winning online program
Special Education - PK-12 concentration program that can be completed in one calendar year for those with existing teaching credentials or a year and a half for those students seeking initial Special Education teaching certification. The online format has been designed for working professionals and busy consumers that want to obtain a degree and teaching credentials without extensive travel and the ability to complete it using a flexible schedule. Courses are set up in both an asynchronous and synchronous manner with most classes being offered in an asynchronous format.
SRU’s two track M.Ed. Program in Special Education offers the following:
- An opportunity to add a Special Education teaching certification PK-12 to existing certification
- Initial teaching certification in Special Education PK-12 for those seeking a career change
- PA Department of Education approved program curriculum
- Asynchronous content delivery for those students seeking a flexible schedule
- Synchronous instruction at strategic points in the program for students seeking initial certification
- CAEP accredited program that has undergone extensive review
- Does not require a GRE or MAT score for entrance into the program
- Knowledgeable academic advisors who know the job market and are working and consulting in the field
Attention: To apply for admission, please use the following link to apply now.
- $25 Application Fee
- Copy of Teaching Certificate (a PA certificate is not required and is optional for Autism). If you are not a teaching professional, please notify graduate admissions so we may adjust your application requirements
- Two electronic recommendation forms: two from a professional or one from a professional and one from a faculty member
- Official undergraduate degree transcript(s) and any graduate transcripts (Official transcripts must be sent by the institution via electronic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail. Faxed copies are not considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to email@example.com
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency. Please contact the Department of Education in your state for information regarding certification.
*Clearances are due no later than one (1) week prior to deadline for course registration for each program's practicum/field experience-----no student will be permitted to register for their program's practicum and take part in practicum/field experiences without clear clearances on file at SRU. Students are to send the following by the due date:
- Clear Act 34 Criminal History Record: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 114 FBI Record Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 151 Child Abuse Background Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Students must file an updated Act 24 with SRU if any additional arrests/convictions occur while enrolled at SRU.
* Testing and PDE certification requirements found here.