Special Education: Grades 7 to 12 (Master of Education)Offered by: Special Education
GRADUATE SCHOOL EVENTS: View upcoming Information Sessions and Open House dates
The Special Education: Grades 7-12 Master of Education program is designed to be a fifth year of study after undergraduate preparation in special education. It provides for a continuation of studies initiated during SRU's undergraduate program and permits students to develop state-of-the-art competencies in the special education field. The program will be offered to students that already have an Instructional I or II Certification in Special Education or a secondary content area such as English, math, science(s), or social studies from Pennsylvania or other states.
The SRU Master of Education program is a good fit for teachers and future teachers of grades 7-12 who want to become trained to meet the needs of the diverse student body in the typical classroom of the 21st Century. Ideal for both experienced educators who want to enhance their skills and education graduates who want to increase their chances of landing a middle school or high school teaching position.
SRU's Master of Education in Special Education: Grades 7-12 offers:
- Exclusively online program ideal for the working professional
- World-class faculty considered to be the leaders in Special Education in Pennsylvania
- Program curriculum grounded in theory and research supported by a practical, hands-on approach
- PA Department of Education-approved and aligned with standards from the Council of Exceptional Children
- Ability to complete the program in one calendar year
Attention: If you are applying to a graduate program after June 23rd, please follow the checklist within the application for all uploading instructions and use this link to apply now.
- Application Fee
- A Copy of Teaching Certificate (submit to email@example.com)
- Resume (submit to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Two Electronic Reference Forms: two from a professional or one from a professional and one from a faculty member (Students is responsible for sending form link to evaluator)
- Official Transcripts- Undergraduate/Graduate (Official transcripts must be sent by institution via electronic transcript e-share to email@example.com or via mail- faxed copies will not be considered official)
- SRU current/Alumni/former students click here to order your official SRU final transcript and have it sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are requesting review of your graduate transcripts for transfer of credit, please complete the transfer of credit form and submit to the Office of Graduate Admissions with official graduate transcripts. Please review SRU's transfer of credit policy.
*Applicants may submit supplemental application materials as a PDF or JPEG file via email (email@example.com), fax (724.738.2146), or mail. Applicants may also choose to submit their supplemental materials via the wufoo forms linked above.
* If you are not a resident of Pennsylvania, please check the list of most recent states approved for online classes and internships by clicking here to see if SRU is authorized to offer distance education and/or field experiences in your state of residency. Please contact the Department of Education in your state for information regarding certification.
*Clearances are due no later than one (1) week prior to deadline for course registration for each program's practicum/field experience-----no student will be permitted to register for their program's practicum and take part in practicum/field experiences without clear clearances on file at SRU. Students are to send the following by the due date:
- Clear Act 34 Criminal History Record: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 114 FBI Record Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Clear Act 151 Child Abuse Background Check: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Clearance must be less than one year old at the time of submission.
- Act 24 Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification: NO record...NONE concerning prohibitive offenses. A meeting headed by the Dean of the College of Education is required if clearances show non-prohibitive offenses. Students must file an updated Act 24 with SRU if any additional arrests/convictions occur while enrolled at SRU.