PREVENTION AND EDUCATION PROGRAMS
As part of Student Health Services, the Office of Health Promotion strives to promote student wellness by offering comprehensive health education and advocating for a campus and local community that support student well-being. The Office of Health Promotion is located in the Student Health Center in Rhoads Hall.
HOPE (Healthy Outreach Through Peer Education)
HOPE Peer Education programs are available to all student groups, organizations, Residence Life, Greek Life, FYRST seminar and academic classes. The programs include education on alcohol and other drugs and are issue oriented programs for students by students.
Step UP! Bystander Intervention
Step Up! is a pro-social behavior and bystander intervention program that educates students to be proactive in helping others. It is adapted from Step UP! The University of Arizona C.A.T.S. Life Skills Program in partnership with the NCAA.
MyStudentBody is an interactive, confidential, online wellness program. The tool provides personalized health information, interactive tools, and coping strategies that are up-to-date and scientifically accurate. The course consists of three separate sections covering the topics of alcohol, drugs and sexual violence. All incoming students are asked to participate in MyStudentBody Essentials Module.
SRU's Concern Center is a space for our campus community to easily find resources that may be helpful in a time of need, allowing people to access resources in the way that makes the most sense to them. There is no need to know which office provides what function, you simply search your concern (ex. Alcohol abuse, feeling stressed) and a list of campus resources options is generated for you. The SRU Concern Center can be accessed here.
Slippery Rock University is a caring campus community committed to supporting our students not just academically, but emotionally, mentally and spiritually. If you observe a student in a situation where additional support may be needed you can make a Care Referral to the Office of the Associate Provost for Student Success. Once we receive the information we can work with the student to coordinate resources and referrals that may ensure student has the opportunity to be successful. If you know of a student who could benefit from these services, please submit a Care referral or call Karla Fonner at 724.738.2121.
COUNSELING AND TREATMENT PROGRAMS
Any Slippery Rock University student or employee who believes he/she is dependent on a controlled substance or alcohol, may seek assistance through the Slippery Rock University Counseling Center, located in 018 Rhoads Hall. The Counseling Center provides the following confidential services:
- Counseling therapy relative to alcohol or drug abuse problems for any student, faculty member, or staff member.
- Evaluation and referral services for students, faculty, staff members and their families.
- Rehabilitation services are available to faculty and staff through the State Employee Assistance Program, the Butler County Drug and Alcohol Program, and through various agencies by referral from the Counseling Center.
- Referrals to Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Al-Anon, Alateen, and other support groups.
- Supportive counseling services to re-entry clients, as well as referrals to other support groups and agencies in the community.
- The Counseling Center provides the Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Program. This program provides interviews, education services and can be a referral source to substance abuse counseling, for students whose drug or alcohol related behavior has resulted in violations of Commonwealth law and/or University regulations or policies.