SRU’s Hospitality and Tourism Department has new name and certificate program


Peop,e booking a vacation

Slippery Rock University prepares students to work in the hospitality and tourism industry, including those who work as hotel and resort managers at some of the top vacation destinations in the world.

Jan. 4, 2021

SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — A department within Slippery Rock University's College of Business has a new name and is offering students a new certificate program. SRU's Hospitality, Event Management and Tourism Department is now known as the Hospitality and Tourism Management Department, marking changes to the department that include offering a hospitality management certificate.

"The way the previous department name was worded suggested that management only applied to events and not to hospitality or tourism, but we're preparing students for a management career in all of those areas," said Jim Dombrosky, assistant professor of hospitality and tourism management and department chair. "That was the primary driver for the change, but also the field of hospitality management is widely considered to include event management. Overall, the change allows for a more precise name and branding over our programs."

The name change affects three full-time faculty: Dombrosky; Mary Jo Ross, associate professor; and Frank Tsai, assistant professor. More than 70 students are enrolled in two degree programs offered within the department: a Bachelor of Science in resort recreation and hospitality management and a Master of Science in hospitality and tourism management that is offered completely online.

Students take courses in sustainable hospitality and planning, ecotourism, event programming and leadership, meeting and event planning, and resort and hotel management. The culminating experience in the undergraduate program is a 12-week internship at a hospitality or tourism related agency, such as resorts, hotels, cruise lines and community/municipal recreation centers.

In fall 2020, the department began offering a hospitality management certificate for non-majors. To earn a certificate, non-majors must take at least 12 credits in hospitality management classes, six from two core classes, Introduction to Hospitality Management and Sustainability in Food and Hospitality, and six from two of four elective courses: Food and Beverage Operations, Resort Recreation Programming, Hotel/Lodging and Hospitality Management, or Meeting Planning and Tournament Structure.

"We feel that this certificate will make a student more marketable because hospitality is an aspect of just about every field," Dombrosky said. "The service sector now makes up about 80% of our economy, and hospitality is about service."

For more information about hospitality and tourism management, including the hospitality management certificate, visit the department webpage.

MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 |