Six couples competing in annual ‘Dancing with the SRU Stars’ March 30
From left, Patrick McGinty, a Slippery Rock University assistant professor of languages, literatures, cultures, and writing, performed with SRU dance major Gabby Pfeifer at the 2022 Dancing with the SRU Stars event.
March 15, 2023
SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. — Watch members of the Slippery Rock University community salsa, foxtrot and waltz the night away at "Dancing with the SRU Stars," 7 p.m., March 30 in Stoner West Dance Studio Theater. SRU's version of the popular television show "Dancing with the Stars" will feature students as the dancers, paired with SRU professors and staff members as the "stars." Instead of a Mirror Ball trophy, the student from the winning couple will be awarded a scholarship and their dance partner will earn the title of SRU Star Dancer.
General admission tickets are $10 and are available at sru.edu/tickets. The event is sponsored by The SRU Dance Department, the National Honor Society of Dance Arts SRU Chapter, and the Deb and Eliott Baker Scholarship. All proceeds benefit the National Honor Society of Dance Arts Rising Sophomore Dance Scholarship.
The evening's dance card will include:
- Pamela Beck, assessment and accreditation coordinator, with Jada Myers, a freshman dual management and interdisciplinary programs major from West Mifflin.
- Vern Miller, assistant professor of music, with Shea Cooper, a sophomore dance major from Hanover.
- Diane Papa, instructor of elementary education and early childhood, with India Hendricks, a junior early childhood education major from Breinigsville.
- Lauren Shoemaker, assistant professor of languages, literatures, cultures, and writing, with Jaidyn Plunket, a sophomore dual psychology and dance major from Altoona.
- Ryan Stryffeler, assistant professor of languages, literatures, cultures, and writing, with Gabbie Dunn, a senior dance major from Bethel Park.
- Linda Zane, professor of elementary education and early childhood, with Will VanSlander, a sophomore dance major from Saint Marys.
There will also be guest performances from SRU's Afro-Columbian Dance Ensemble and the JAM-Rock Hip Hop Dance Team.
More information about the NHSDA is available on the SRU Dance Department webpage.
MEDIA CONTACT: Justin Zackal | 724.738.4854 | firstname.lastname@example.org