Residence Life Leadership Opportunities
Anticipated Graduate Assistantship Vacancies
- Graduate Resident Director (GRD)
- GA Residential Education Attainment Plan
- GA Living Learning Community Development
Association of Residence Hall Students (ARHS)
ARHS is a coordinating and activity planning organization. Representatives from each residence hall and R.O.C.K. Apartments meet regularly to discuss residence hall policies, campus concerns, and to provide feedback to the Office of Residence Life. Additionally ARHS co-sponsors or coordinates:
- The on-campus laundry programs (laundry rooms in your Residence Hall)
- The Readership Program (free newspapers in your hall lobby)
- Spring semester visitation vote (each hall votes to determine if they will alter the hall visitation policy in the spring semester)
- Opportunities to attend leadership conferences on/off campus
- Light Up Night (November of each year)
All students living in on-campus residence halls and R.O.C.K. Apartments are members of ARHS and are encouraged to attend regular meetings. Students and organizations may request funding from ARHS for activities that benefit the campus community.
Residence Hall House Councils
Each residence hall elects an executive board and floor representatives to meet weekly to discuss residence hall policies and activities, determine how students House Council fees ($20.00 paid at check-in) will be allocated, and provide feedback to the Office of Residence Life. Representatives from each residence hall attend ARHS meetings as designated voting members for their hall. House Councils plan and participate in:
- social activities for residence hall students
- purchasing of hall equipment such as pool tables, games, videos, vacuums, etc.
- opportunities to participate in leadership opportunities on/off campus
- announcements of campus activities and events.
All students living in the residence hall are members of their House Council and are encouraged to attend regular meetings. Students may request funding from their House Council for activities that benefit the halls' students.
National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH)
NRHH rewards and recognizes residence hall students for their residence hall program at SRU. Nominations are accepted in the fall of each year. Criteria for selection includes: Leadership, Scholarship, Concerns for others, Character, and Contributions made to the University and/or residence hall system.
Throughout the year, this honorary offers a variety of services for residential students and participates in regional and national activities.
Employment as a Residence Life Staff Member
Welcome Desk Attendant (DA) - Desk Attendants are paid employees of the Office of Housing. These student workers provide valuable services by responding to residents needs at each welcoem desk, guest relations, access control, and assist in maintaining a safe hall environment. Students can apply for any available employment opportunities with our office via the University's Handshake online employment platform that connects students with applications to available positions.
Community Assistant (CA) - CAs are paid employees assigned to each residence hall floor. Their purpose is to assist students with academic and personal referrals, integration into the campus community, and problem solving and support. Students must meet the following requirements to apply:
- 2.25 GPA at the time of application and throughout employment
- 15 academic credits completed at the time of application, 30 credits completed at the time of employment
- 1 semester of residence hall or community living experience.
R.O.C.K. Apts. Resident Assistant (RA) - R.O.C.K. Apts. RAs receive an apartment waiver in exchange for employment. R.O.C.K. Apts. Resident Assistants assist residents in the community with personal and academic concerns. Additionally, Resident Assistants provide duty coverage and support resident safety and provision of services. R.O.C.K. Apts RA applications are available in the spring of each year for the following fall. Click here to view Job Description.