Student Center & Conference Services
The mission of the Slippery Rock University Student Center and Conference Services department is to provide assistance to anyone seeking to hold an event on campus. Through our efforts, we create a welcoming community that fosters student learning and provides a valuable, regional resource.
- The Robert M. Smith Student Center is a community gathering space where we create opportunities for learning and engagement through informal interaction and programmed events.
- Students are our primary stakeholders, yet we also aim to serve the needs of the university and the community through support for events and programs.
- We train and empower our student employees to think critically, solve problems, and engage positively with diverse constituents.
- We create experiences for youth and adults to utilize our facilities and services through summer camps and conferences leading to positive benefits for the campus.
- We create learning environments that are inclusive, accessible, adaptable, and equipped with appropriate technology for a variety of events.
The variety of event spaces makes Slippery Rock University the venue of choice for student, staff, faculty, and community members to hold meetings, workshops, banquets, weddings, conferences, summer camps, and other special events.
Robert M. Smith Student Center
STUDENT CENTER AMENITIES
The Smith Student Center is dedicated to providing a welcoming and multi-purpose space for university faculty, staff, students and outside groups. Located within the building is a variety of event spaces, including a 750 person lecture style ballroom, luxury seated theater with in-house AV tech, and seven fully equipped conference rooms with technology and portable furniture. In addition to meeting spaces, the Student Center also offers plenty of space for students and guests to gather around in the fireplace or commuter lounge while enjoying coffee from the in-house Starbucks. Lunch-time offerings include Quaker Steak & Lube and Rocky's which features a variety of sandwich, wraps, salads, and southwest style meals, all located on the second floor. Don't miss the SGA Bookstore to pick up some Slippery Rock gear and academic books each time you visit the Student Center as well (located on the first floor next to Starbucks)!
RESERVATIONS FOR UNIVERSITY EVENTS
University departments and recognized student organizations conducting University business may schedule university facilities generally without charge. Student Center and Conference Services staff can assist students, faculty, and staff in scheduling university facilities for events or reoccurring meetings. The Robert M. Smith Student Center is a great place to hold conferences, meetings, banquets, and other events. Amenities include a Ballroom, Multi-Purpose Theater, conference rooms, lounges. The Student Center also has a Starbucks, Quaker Steak & Lube, a food court, and the Campus Bookstore. Availability of classrooms, auditoriums, Student Center conference rooms, and ballroom and theater locations can be checked online or at the main Smith Student Center Information Desk.
University departments must complete a University Event Reservation Form found at the Information Desk at the Student Center or by visiting the Campus Reservations for Faculty, Staff, & Students tab. Recognized Student Clubs and Organizations can only reserve a space by completing their reservations on the student portal, CORE.
CONFERENCES AND OTHER FACILITY RENTALS
The office is dedicated to ensuring that the planning process for conferences and other facility rentals is helpful and efficient, while being mindful of event budgets. University departments and recognized student organizations are encouraged to invite guests to campus for regional meetings, association gatherings, training workshops, and other events. Facilities are also available to rent for community, corporate, non-profit, and personal events. For more information email Conference Services.
The Robert M. Smith Student Center Ballroom is a beautiful venue for wedding receptions, and the Student Center Theater provides a scenic backdrop for wedding ceremonies. For outdoor flair, the SGA Pavilion can be reserved in the campus Quad. Aramark, our exclusive, full-service catering partner, provides exceptional menu selections, bartending services, and many extra amenities to ensure the success of your big day. For more information email Conference Services.
The Ceremony includes:
- Access to the space four hours the day before the ceremony and four hours on the day of the event
- Tables and chairs
- Bridal and groom rooms for bridal parties
- State-of-the-art audio/visual equipment
The Reception includes:
- Access to the space during the day of the event for setup and teardown
- Elevated bridal table/sweetheart table
- Banquet chairs and tables
- State-of-the-art audio/visual equipment
- Complete set-up and teardown
SUMMER CAMPS AND CONFERENCES
During the summer months, Slippery Rock University provides a wonderful location for overnight camps and conference groups. Located in western Pennsylvania and situated on over 600 acres between Routes I-80 and I-79 makes SRU an easy drive from Pittsburgh, Erie, or Cleveland.
Summer camps are hosted by various SRU faculty, staff, and athletic departments on campus for a variety camp experiences. In addition, Slippery Rock is also home to many outside high school, church, and organizations for their summer retreats, band/sports camps, annual conferences, and training sessions. See the Summer Camps tab for more information.