The RockTEACH Program exists to diversify the teacher workforce by building a teacher pipeline among BIPOC students. This teacher pipeline begins with the recruitment of BIPOC high school students to the field of teaching, extends to supportive preparation of pre-service teachers at SRU, and ultimately creates future in-service mentors.
FOUR PILLARS OF CONNECTION
- Connection with BIPOC high school students who are exploring the field of teaching.
- SCHOOL-YEAR PARTNTERSHIPS: programming and visits within partner highschools
- SRU VISITS: On-campus experiences, including Education Major for a Day Program
- Connection among BIPOC pre-service teacher candidates at SRU, providing supportive opportunities to thrive.
- SUMMER INSTITUTE: Week-long unique school visits and professional development for BIPOC students within the College of Education
- SCHOOL-YEAR EVENTS: community-building gathering among BIPOC students within the College of Education
- SCHOOL PARTNERSHIPS: visit partner schools allowing for exposure and networking with community schools
- ACADEMIC ADVISING: RockTEACH faculty serve as Academic Advisors, guiding them through course selection and state testing processes
- JUMP START: SRU program to help students transition to campus life, both academically and socially
- MCKAY SUCCESS STUDIO: Collaboration between the COE and Center for Career and Academic Progress, housed within the McKay Education Building.. Peer Academic and Peer Career Coaching, allowing students easy access to supportive services and Therapy Dogs.
- Connection among RockTEACH pre-service and in-service educators, fostering an iterative cycle of mentoring relationships.
- SCHOOL & ALUMNI PARTNERSHIPS: School visits and mentoring connections between RockTEACH alumni and teacher education students
- Connection to equity-supporting financial assistance programs, supporting goal realization.
An important goal of the RockTEACH program is to offer scholarships and additional financial support to RockTEACH participants who enroll in SRU's College of Education. Ongoing pursuit of external grant funding to offer critically needed assistance to students who aspire to become a teacher continues to be at the forefront of the RockTEACH mission.
RockTEACH In the News
SRU faculty, students mentor future leaders
SRU receives PNC Foundation grant to support RockTEACH
SRU ranked one of the country's best schools for education majors
SRU receives $20,000 grant to continue RockTEACH
SRU’s RockTEACH program is inspiring BIPOC students to become teachers