Student Success Coaches
WHO WE ARE
Success Coaches focus on students' holistic development and enhance campus connections. Through Success Coaching, We empower students to establish values and goals, create action plans for success, persevere through challenges, and develop as deep learners.
WHAT WE DO
Success Coaching sessions provide a proactive and interactive space for students to navigate their SRU experience and become connected to campus resources. Success Coaches provide accountability and create environments that enhance intrinsic motivation, cultivate self-efficacy, and invite self-reflection.
SUCCESS COACHING RESOURCES
The Success Coaches have created a few different handouts and worksheets that can help you at Slippery Rock:
Online Learning Essentials - ten tips to help navigate your online courses
7 Tips for First Year Success - strategies for the start of the semester to be successful for the rest of the way
It's Your Education: Own It - a reflective worksheet that accompanies the Success Coaching It's Your Education: Own It! Workshop
Branch Out and Find Your Fit - tips and strategies for stronger connections at Slippery Rock
College Classroom 101 - tips to prepare for class, staying focused throughout the lecture, and note-taking strategies
Learning Styles - ways to determine how you best learn and study along with ideas to maximize these styles
Prof Talk 101 - how do you create a good rapport with your professor?
SMART Goals - a tried-and-true method for breaking down and achieving the various academic and personal goals in your life
Reading Strategy: SQ4R - a great way to approach your reading to better prepare and engage in class
Study Locations at SRU - a variety of places in the residence halls and around campus where you can study
Studying and Test Anxiety - tips to help create a study routine, work in groups, and to tackle test anxiety
Time Management - different ways to break down your life in daily, weekly, and monthly fashion
Values - use this values activity to explore your core values and discover what matters most to you
If you'd like to go further on one of these areas, or an area not in one of these areas, you can schedule an appointment above with a Success Coach.
What are the Guiding Principles of Success Coaching?
- Success Coaching is highly collaborative and relies on the model of a convoy of social support (Schlossberg, 2012) and resources for academic development
- Success Coaching is a proactive approach to assist students in their holistic development. Success Coaching is for all students! Any students at SRU are invited to see a Success Coach
- Sessions are conversational and co-constructive, embracing personal narrative and inviting students to share their story and experiences
- Success Coaching is for all students! Any students at SRU are invited to see a Success Coach
One-on-one Coaching Sessions
Success coaches will...
- Identify personal, social, and academic obstacles or areas of growth
- Determine useful campus resources and social support
- Co-construct an action plan for student success
- Provide accountability and follow up
Academic Success Group Sessions
Students in poor academic standing are invited to participate in Academic Success Group sessions, which focus on a holistic approach to assisting students in their academics. Topics include: creating a success plan, self-directed learning, forming healthy academic habits, challenges with motivation/procrastination, personal SWOT analysis to get back on track, time management and organization, learning styles and strengths assessment.
Group sessions will take place on Zoom with resources located in the D2L Success Coach page. If you have questions about Academic Success Groups, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to your Success Coach directly.
When to Refer Students to a Success Coach?
- Does a student need support but you're not familiar with details of their situation?
- Is a student facing academic challenges and unsure why?
- Is a student struggling with connecting to the university?
- Is there a need for broad areas of academic and social development?
- If you know a student's specific need, refer them to the office specializing in that area. If a student needs overall guidance, refer them to a coach, who will help them create an action plan, determine campus resources, and provide accountability