Festivals and International Experiences
The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) is a national theater program involving 18,000 students from 600 colleges in the United States, providing an opportunity for theater departments and student artists to showcase their work; receive outside assessment by festival respondents; network and collaborate with student artists from different programs across the country; and to study with professional theatre practitioners.
The SRU Theatre Department welcomes KCACTF respondents to most of our productions, gaining valuable feedback, as well as opportunities for students to receive acting and design nominations and awards. The Department has also had multiple productions invited to perform at the annual KCACTF Region II festival that occurs each January. SRU has a record of excellence within KCACTF, including the following awards/honors:
- Marisol, 2000
- Beirut, 2003
- The Shape of Things, 2005
- Fat Pig, 2011
- Dead Man's Cell Phone, 2014
- Scab, 2015
- National Makeup Design Award, Macbeth - Kelly McBane
- Region II Vectorworks Award for Scenic Design, Stagecraft Institute of Las Vegas Award for Scenic Design, Honorable Mention Award for Theatrical Design Excellence - Emma Cummings
- Region II Costume Design Award, Cymbeline - Maya Ogasawara
- Region II Selected Student Directing Project, This is Our Youth - Deanna Brookens
- Region II Irene Ryan Acting Competition Semi-finalists - Luke Chamberlain, Meg Rodgers, Karter Schachner, Malic Williams
- Region II Irene Ryan Acting Competition Finalists - Deanna Brookens, Phoebe Costanza, Jeffrey F. Feola, Zachary Malinak, Bethany Vahabzadeh
- Region II Irene Ryan Acting Competition Winners - Tajionna Anderson-Clinton & Tyler Hahn
The United States Institute for Theatre Technology, Inc. (USITT) exists to connect and educate performing arts designers and technicians, promoting dialogue, research, and learning among practitioners, educators, and students.
Design and Technology students are encouraged to participate in USITT, including participation in the annual Conference and Stage Expo.
Edinburgh Festival Fringe
Since the summer of 2006, the SRU Theatre Department has been travelling every other year to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the largest performing arts festival in the world. Occurring during the first three weeks of August, students who partake in the Edinburgh trip have the opportunity to present a fully-realized production abroad in a professional setting, as well as take in a plethora of international theatre experiences.