Graduate Resources

As a graduate student, there are several ways to help cover the cost of tuition. 


The U.S. Department of Education provides loan and work-study opportunities for students enrolled in graduate degree programs. To apply for federal financial aid, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at  Eligibility for federal financial aid is limited to graduate students enrolled at least half-time (three credits) in graduate level coursework in a master’s or doctorate degree program. Additional eligibility requirements for federal aid relate to a student’s enrollment status, citizenship, satisfactory academic progress, and cost of attendance.

There are three common types of loans that students borrow: The Federal Direct Loan, The Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, and Non-Federal/Private Education Loans. To learn more about these loans and the current interest rates visit Additional financial aid questions should be directed to Joanna Hastings, Assistant Director of Financial Aid, at

Graduate Assistantships

Slippery Rock University offers over 100 graduate assistantships annually. To learn more about these opportunities, visit the website.

Want to view a list of graduate assistantship positions at SRU?

  • Current SRU students or recent SRU alum can log into their SRU Handshake Account and log in with their SRU credentials.
    • Once inside the app, watch this video for detailed information on how to search and view available assistantships.
  • Prospective graduate students can contact Payroll and Student Employment at to receive access to view available positions in Handshake.


Scholarships are monies that do not need to be repaid. They are awarded based on a variety of criteria that may include academic performance or program of study. Although you should not depend on receiving scholarships to finance your education, you may apply for institutional and private or external scholarships during your graduate studies. Information about SRU scholarships and private or external scholarships is available at:

On-Campus Employment

Work-study positions are available across campus and may be funded by the federal government (need-based, Federal Work Study) or by the institution (non-need-based). You must submit job applications to each department in which you would like to work through Handshake.  Please see above to create a Handshake account.